flexiesmit

flexiesmit

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Artistic Mother

I've always had a difficult time with scheduling. Since we've homeschooled for many years and my husband has an unusual schedule, things have always been hit-and-miss around here. This has especially been true when it comes to my artmaking, writing, etc. I'm interested in so many different things and it's nerve-wracking trying to fit them all in. So I've tried different "systems" over the years. One is to schedule by the day of the week---divide your activities according to the day, i.e. if it's Tuesday, it must be painting day. Another is the school-day breakdown---writing from 9 to 11, painting from 1 to 3, etc.. These never worked for me. I'd be gung ho for a while and then peter out. After I read Barbara Scher's book Refuse To Choose I implemented some of her suggestions for a "scanner" (someone with many varied interests). These included a chart like the colorful one above. You write out what you want to do and when you've done it, you color in a block. This helps you see what areas you are neglecting to get done. As you can see, according to this chart from three years ago, I neglected a few! A week ago I found Shona Cole's book The Artistic Mother at B&N. After reading it, I decided to adapt her "12 week workshop" into a schedule. I headed the schedule with my three main interests--- writing, painting, and sewing---and put down what I would do in each area each day. This was working very well (four days into it!). However, I just found out today that Trudy Callan is forming an Artistic Mothers group. Bloggers will work through the 12 weeks together and post about it. I think this will give me the accountability I've been lacking in my "freelance" life. If you'd like to join just go to Trudy's blog and sign up. It's starting March 6.

9 comments:

Trudy said...

Thanks so much for the shout out, Kathryn. I'm so glad you've joined us. I totally understand your struggles. I so need the accountability of this group as well. If you've read my profile, then you know that I also homeschool; and sewing is another one of my interests. I even have a sewing blog as well as my art blog. If you haven't checked it out yet, it's www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

See you March 6th.

Kathryn said...

Trudy, I'm going to head over to your sewing blog today. So excited about the group!

Trudy said...

Thanks for visiting my sewing blog and saying hi. I have several Sense and Sensibility patterns. We seem to have much in common. So glad we've met.

Shona Cole said...

I am so excited to hear you are going to do the workshop! I am going to do a getting started post this weekend, perhaps it will be helpful!?! I know it is a lot to fit in to an already busy schedule, but I have done it and if you commit to doing only a little a day it can work. I homeschool too, so I know so well how busy and tiring it is! I always feel better when I get some art done, so it is worth the effort.
All the best
Shona

Trudy said...

I have a special message for participants of The Artistic Mother's Art Group on my blog. I will be posting regular updates, tips for doing the projects and notes of encouragement. One of the future postings will be about the upcoming Flicker group for participants. I will have information for alternative ways the projects can look like and so many other things. There is a possibility that our group may be featured in a major art publication at some point, which will go unnamed at this time. We are going to be featured at Designing Moms soon. Everyone will want to post photos of their best work on their blogs because these publications may choose photos of some of the participants' work. I will do a post soon on how to take great photos to help you best showcase your work. I cannot possibly contact each participant individually when something important arises; so if you could check my blog often, that would be great. I don't want you miss anything. To make it easier for yourself, you could add my blog to your blog list. Then you will see when I have posted and you will know when to come.

Tomorrow I will have tips for doing the first project.

I posted a message today about getting started on The Artistic Mother workshop.

Thank you again for being a part of this group. I know we will all get so much out of it and learn how to balance family and art time.

Trudy Callan
Coordinator for The Artistic Mother's Art Group
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Mandy said...

hi there...i home school as well...very strict regiment tho as its through the department of ed...i struggle with time as well...thats why i joined this group and hopefully get to do what i love as well vs what must be done...i am a mum of 6 and struggle with time evry day...will become your follower and have put you on my blog list...looking forward to getting to know you...take care...mandy...xxx

Kathy Ross said...

Hey Kathryn --
It's March . . . I'm waiting to see more creativity from your corner. :)
Hope you are all well.
Love,
Kathy

Trudy said...

There have been a couple of changes in the instructions I sent you. To make things easier for everyone since our group has grown so much, instead of having to put all of the links in each post or on your sidebar, I have made a button for the group. Just grab my button and put that in your sidebar.

The other change is that instead of having to post at the end of each week, you may post about your progress any time of the week that is best for you; but do try to post weekly. When posting your progress each week, if you could mention the group and a link to my blog in your posts, that would be great. That way people can go to my blog and see the list of the other participants and click around to see their progress as well.

Please check my blog often for tips, notes of encouragement and exciting news. Coming soon will be a post about a Flickr group for our Mothers' art group and also a giveaway.

And if you could you please send me your email address to sewingwithtrudy at yahoo dot com so that if I want to do a group email, I'll have everyone's address? Thanks so much.

Trudy Callan
Group coordinator for The Artistic Mother Art Group
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

Kathryn --
I came across this web site -- www.designspongeonline.com and thought it might be something you and Liz would find interesting. It features some unique art ideas. Hope all is well with you and the family.
Love, Kathy Ross