flexiesmit

flexiesmit

Friday, April 9, 2010

Poetry Journal

I don't have a picture to post of my poetry journal because I haven't "decorated" it yet. But I am enjoying using it. I've filled it with exercises from The Artistic Mother book and another book I'm reading---The Discovery Of Poetry by Frances Mayes. She wrote Under the Tuscan Sun and other memoirs about Italy. Her poetry "manual" is insightful and full of good poems. After reading a couple of poems by James Wright in it, I am curious to look for a book by him. I've also just reread American Primative by Mary Oliver. It's been wonderful to get immersed in poetry again. I've kept notebooks filled with favorite poems before but this area of my life had slidden to the back burner. Slidden is not a word, but I think it should be. Maybe I'll use it in a poem!

2 comments:

Trudy said...

I'm going to check out the poetry books you mentioned. Thanks for sharing them.

I think slidden should be a word, too. Whose in charge of adding new words to the dictionary?

E Makes Art said...

I think slidden is a fantastic word! I love made up words. My husband teaches high school English and he's come home with a few great "new" words from his students, I just wish I could remember one to share with you but I'm drawing a blank. Thanks for making me smile.